Apr 2, 2007

APRIL FOOL

Spring Has Come

“Winter has gone, and spring has come” was the sentence I had to remember at my English grammar class in high school to learn present perfect tense.
It is such a boring sentence, which I don’t think native English speakers don’t say.
Anyway, spring has come in Japan.

This year, I totally forgot about “April Fool”.
I forgot to lie to anybody…
It was a day I was looking for when I was little, since I could lie and nobody got mad at me.
Maybe everyone is the same, but my parents were very very strict about telling lies.
They told me that was the worst thing to do.
So I always felt weird to be told to tell a lie a day in April.
Most of the time, I just lied for fun, nothing serious.
However, I remember that I gambled on April 1st when I was sixteen.
I lied to a boy whom I liked to see if he was interested in me or not.
It was so stupid of me to do such a thing, but because of a small lie I told, we started hanging out by ourselves.
Somehow it ended soon, and I even don’t remember where we went, what we did and how we ended.
But I remember what lie I exactly told him, maybe because I felt guilty that it seems like I deceived somebody on that day.
Now I am old enough not to get excited about April Fool, but every year I think what kind of lie I would tell to somebody.
But thinking lie which does not hurt anybody or nor deceive, but make somebody laugh is tough.
Too much work to do…!!!


April with Cherry blossom trees is such a special time for us, Japanese.
April is a month we start new things, such as entering school, starting working, going up to the next grade at school, moving, everything.
So whenever we see cherry blossom in April, we feel like refreshing and starting new things.
For example, from this April, I got a different title and have more responsible work at company.
I joined ceremony for employees who got different title, and I felt myself really refreshed.
Another example, I can’t help buying new stationeries in April.
Most of Japanese feel the same way that we can’t get rid of our custom when we were kids.
We had to buy new stationeries to go to new classes at school in April when we were kids.
I bought a new orange calculator this year hoping I will be better at accounting stuff.
Well, “Winter has gone and spring has come”
I am all excited about new things and new people thatI am going to meet.

2 comments:

Daniel Winokur said...

hey yu -- just wanted to let you know that I love reading your blog! I'm not sure why I love it so much, but I check to see if you've updated it like twice a day.

anyway I'm really busy over ehre with school -- and trying to get some good work experience this summer. When are you coming to the states next?

-Dan

YU said...

Dan,
That was such a sweet comment!! Thank you, Dan!

I am coming to the US from the end of June to the beginning of July. But only to NY and Boston. I don't think I can stop by SF... Damn.

Good luck on your homework.

Miss ya,
Yu